Budget Development Information For Fiscal Year 2012-2013

In recent years, we have been attempting to gather information about high priority items that required new funding even though the general state budget picture was bleak.  Last year’s request, for example, was limited to funding requests for items that advanced implementation of the Strategic Plan or were deemed critical to the operation of the program or department.  The call for those budget items has usually gone out about now.  THERE WILL BE NO SUCH CALL for FY 2012-2013 budget requests.  I wanted to let you know that now in the event you were starting to think about possible items to put forward for additional funding in the next fiscal year.

We’ve had to take this step because UMW’s current operating budget is under significant strain.  Out of state student enrollments fell short of expectations and a number of unanticipated expenses exerted further stress on an already strapped budget.  Under those circumstances, it doesn’t make sense to request funding for  “critical needs” or new initiatives when we know there will be next to no reasonable opportunity to fund them given the current state of our operating budget.

Because some department budget managers had been asking about when the call for budget items would be made, I felt it wise to let everyone know that there would be no such budget call this year.

The next impact on our budget situation for 2012-13 will be the Governor’s budget proposal (due later this month).  I will, of course, let you know how the Governor’s proposals are likely to affect our budget planning for 2012-13.  “Likely” is the operative word here, since the Governor’s proposals are subject to modification (or rejection) by the General Assembly as they develop the next biennial budget during the General Assembly session that will commence in January.  I’ll do my best to keep you posted as developments warrant.