Teaching Summer Session Courses – Last Year’s Compensation Policies Remain in Effect

As you’ll recall, we reviewed our summer session faculty compensation procedures last year. Many of you took part in the open forum I held, and others contributed comments via email. So that there is no ambiguity, let me start by clearly stating that the compensation policies we followed last summer will remain in effect for summer session 2015. You can easily find the summer faculty compensation policies posted on the Provost’s website (look under the category called “Policies” in the header menu) or use this direct link: summer session compensation policy

I do need to stress again that summer session revenue remains significant to the overall operation of the university; this is especially true this year given the enrollment challenges I’ve outlined elsewhere and the state-mandated budget cuts.  If we are lucky enough to have a more productive summer session, we might be able to cushion the toll these factors have imposed on our overall budget. At the very least, we must do everything possible to reverse the summer session enrollment declines we have been experiencing (see the other article in this newsletter).

To that end, we have adopted a slightly different approach to planning the summer session. We hope these new approaches will produce some results (see the two additional articles in this newsletter). In particular, we have generated a list of the courses we have offered in the past three summer sessions and have identified the courses that have generally produced the strongest results. The list also identifies the courses that have only barely met the minimum enrollments necessary. We will be using this information as one reference point as we plan the courses to be offered this summer.

Last year, we inaugurated a specific summer session “marketing plan” that we had worked out with Malcolm Holmes in the University Marketing Department. I will be working with Malcolm and Kimberley Williams to revise our approaches now that we have some experience with what we tried last year. These plans will be under development in January – if you have suggestions for us to consider, please send them my way.

Let me highlight the key features of summer session compensation outlined in the policy document linked above:

• The minimum enrollment required to run a class will continue to be 7 students, and the date by which that minimum must be achieved in order to run the course will remain two weeks prior to the start of the summer term.  Exceptions will only rarely be made, on the recommendation of the Dean and approval of the Provost.
  • Notification to students of all summer-session course cancellations will be handled by the Registrar’s office.
  • The minimum per-credit salary for full-time continuing faculty (which was raised from $1,300 per credit to $1,500 per credit last year) remains in effect. The $2,333 per credit cap introduced two years ago remains in place.
  • Adjunct faculty who teach in the summer session are paid in accordance with the established Adjunct Compensation Scale.