A Brief Look Ahead . . .

Greetings to all, and a warm welcome as you prepare to return to campus in the days ahead.  I know you share my excitement as we welcome President Paino to campus.  Dr. Paino has been drinking from the proverbial firehose these past few weeks, and I know he is looking forward to getting to know all of you in the weeks and months ahead.

We are sure to have a busy agenda this year, and I’ll say more about that when we meet next week.  This will include discussion of the strategic plan as well as the strategic enrollment plan being developed in coordination with the strategic plan.  I will also offer updates on the work of the faculty group looking at faculty workloads and on other initiatives for the year ahead.

For now, I want to strongly encourage everyone to participate in the faculty development programs that are being offered this Thursday, August 18 and Friday, August 19.  A detailed description of these programs can be found on line at http://provost.umw.edu/schedule-of-presemester-events-for-faculty/.  Both programs were developed by a team of faculty and staff, working under the direction of Tim O’Donnell, Associate Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Success.  The Thursday program features a keynote address from Laura DiGalbo, adjunct faculty in the Counseling and Family Therapy graduate program at Central Connecticut State University,” on Working and Communicating with Students with Mental Health Disorders in the Postsecondary Environment.”  After the keynote, concurrent sessions will be conducted to help everyone prepare for the new academic year.   In addition, Safe Zone training is being conducted on Thursday afternoon for those who have signed up in advance.

Friday morning will feature a keynote address by Lindsey Pollak, widely recognized as the leading voice on millennials in the workplace.  After the address, there will be two concurrent sessions.  The first, focusing on student advising and student success, will be a wide-ranging and jam-packed information session offering the latest news on UMW’s student success efforts and associated resources available to faculty.  The second will address challenging student situations and will feature Dean of Student Life Cedric Rucker, Director of the Talley Counseling Center Tev Zukor, Director of the Office of Disabliity Resources Sandra Fritton, Chief Michael Hall, and Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion, Leah Cox.    These sessions are offered from 10-11 and 11-12, allowing faculty to participate in both.

First-Year Seminar instructors and advisors will also meet from 12-3:30 on Friday, August 19 to continue discussion of the morning’s keynote and provide further support related to the First Year Seminars.    In addition, new faculty orientation will also continue on Friday afternoon, with a session from 2:00-4:00 on Student Services support resources and on Honor Council.

I know Tim and his team worked very hard to develop programming that will be genuinely helpful as you prepare to launch into a new academic year.  I look forward to seeing you there!

Details regarding start times and location can be found at http://provost.umw.edu/schedule-of-presemester-events-for-faculty/http://provost.umw.edu/schedule-of-presemester-events-for-faculty/.