Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

AUGUST 2012

Announcements, news, and information from the Academic Affairs area of the University.

Where has the time gone?

By Ian D.C. Newbould

As we begin the new academic year, I wonder, as I am sure you do, what happened to the past three months!  Whether conducting research, vacationing or working on assignments, your time probably seemed to fly by as quickly as it has for me.   When I arrived at Mary Washington nearly four months ago, President Hurley and I discussed a number of initiatives for me to concentrate on during my fifteen-month assignment.  Each concerns the strengthening of our academic programs, of our student body, and of our student support services.  I’d like to report to you on four initiatives that are underway.

Read more. . .
Congratulations to Our Newly Promoted and Tenured Colleagues!

By Ian D.C. Newbould

Eighteen faculty have earned promotion and/or tenure, and I wanted to share their names so that you might join me in congratulating them on the achievement of these significant professional milestones.  Four persons were tenured, another four were promoted to the rank of professor, and ten additional faculty were both tenured and promoted to the rank of associate professor.  The full list of everyone who earned promotion or and/or tenure along with their college and department and/or disciplinary affiliation appears on the next page:

Read more. . .
Getting Ready for the Start of a New Academic Year

As we do each year, there are a number of important activities scheduled in the so-called “pre-week.”  The calendar is available here.  A few of the events deserve special mention and there are also some changes from how the pre-week activities worked last year.  Hopefully, everything will come off this year without the dramas of a year ago – some folks are still talking about the earthquake, the horrific thunderstorm, and the hurricane that all occurred during the pre-week time and even forced the start of classes to be delayed by one day!

Read more. . .
Upcoming Deadlines – Sabbaticals and Jepson Fellowships

These important due dates are coming soon.  Sabbaticals and Jepson Fellowships are competitive programs, and the first step is for those eligible to submit the required application.  While the eligibility criteria and the application procedures for these two programs are different, they share one thing in common: applications for sabbaticals and Jepson Fellowships are both due on Monday, September 10.

Read more. . .
News About the Convergence Center

In the effort to keep everyone informed on this project as work progresses, updates will be provided in this newsletter and in the campus newsletter, EagleEye.  As necessary, separate email alerts may be sent out if warranted by particular developments related to the project.

Read more. . .
Report on External Grants – Activity, Results, and Procedures

UMW faculty and staff are continuing to submit external grant and contract proposals.  Debbie Zies (Department of Biological Sciences) recently learned that the Virginia Academy of Sciences (VAS) awarded her a $1,200 grant to support her work on cloning and the human RA11 promoter.  She received the maximum award for what the chairperson of the VAS Research Committee termed a fine proposal.  Congratulations to Debbie and to the eight other faculty and staff members who have submitted projects for external funding since the report that was in the April 2012 newsletter (the list of applicants appears on the next page).

Read more. . .
NEH Summer Stipend Applications – UMW Nomination Process Announced

The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) summer stipend program requires that any applicant who is teaching at a college or university must be nominated by their institution in order to be eligible for consideration.  Each institution may nominate up to two persons, and the NEH requests that institutions announce their nomination procedures.  Click “read more” to see UMW’s procedures.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken