Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

August 2013

Welcome back to the start of a new academic year.  A number of important items are contained in this issue of the newsletter. Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

Jonathan Levin

Traditions, Challenges, and Moving Ahead

I am often asked about my vision for Mary Washington, or about my agenda for the University. I don’t know that I have an “agenda,” but my vision is fairly simple, and I hope not terribly controversial: to remain consistent with the best ideals and practices of liberal learning, rooted in the classical liberal arts tradition, but facing forward in ways that connect that tradition to specifically 21st century challenges, preparing students to live and work in an increasingly globalized, diverse, technologically driven world.

Read more. . .
Getting Ready for the Start of a New Academic Year

As we do each year, there are a number of important activities scheduled in the so-called “pre-week.”  The calendar is available here.  A few of the events deserve special mention and there are also some changes from how the pre-week activities worked in the past.  Please take note of the several important events on the calendar as highlighted on the next page.

Read more. . .
Upcoming Deadlines – Sabbaticals And Jepson Fellowships

These important due dates are coming soon.  Sabbaticals and Jepson Fellowships are competitive programs, and the first step is for those eligible to submit the required application.  While the eligibility criteria and the application procedures for these two programs are different, they share one thing in common: applications for sabbaticals and Jepson Fellowships are both due on Monday, September 9.

Read more. . .
Congratulations to Newly Promoted and Tenured Colleagues!

Even though this announcement was made in the late spring semester, it seems more than appropriate to mention again that ten of our colleagues have earned promotion and/or tenure.  I wanted to share their names again so that you might join me in congratulating them on the achievement of these significant professional milestones as we start our new academic year.  Two persons were tenured, another two were promoted to the rank of professor, and six additional faculty were both tenured and promoted to the rank of associate professor.  The full list of everyone who earned promotion or and/or tenure along with their college and department and/or disciplinary affiliation appears on the next page.

Read more. . .
NEH Summer Stipend Applications – UMW Nomination Process Announced

The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) summer stipend program requires that any applicant who is teaching at a college or university must be nominated by their institution in order to be eligible for consideration.  Each institution may nominate up to two persons, and the NEH requests that institutions announce their nomination procedures.  Click “read more” to see UMW’s procedures.

Read more. . .
Convergence Center Construction Remains on Schedule

Despite some bouts with more than the usual number of summer thunderstorms, work on UMW’s new Information and Technology Convergence Center remains on target.  Construction is expected to be substantially complete by June 2014, and the building will be in full service starting with the fall 2014 semester.  Continue reading for a quick rundown of recent work and a summary of projected activities in the weeks ahead.

Read more. . .
Report on External Grants – Activity, Results, and Procedures

UMW faculty and staff are continuing to submit external grant and contract proposals and to achieve success. Congratulations to Charlie Sharpless (Department of Chemistry), Nabil Al-Tikriti (Department of History and American Studies), and Christine Grosse (College of Business) who learned that their proposals have been funded!  For details about their projects, and to see the several other faculty and staff members who have submitted projects for external funding since the report that was in the April 2013 newsletter, please read on!

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken