Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

DECEMBER 2011

As we close of the semester, I wanted to update you on a few items of importance to the academic affairs area.  As always, please let me know if you have questions or comments. — Jay Harper

Our Kind Of University

As we prepare for our semester break and holiday season I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued excellence in educating our students and to wish you a safe and joyous holiday.  It’s been a busy semester marked by continued reflection on one major question that lies at the center of all that we do — what kind of university should we be?

Read more. . .
Congratulations To 2012-13 Sabbatical Awardees And Jepson Fellows!

It’s my pleasure to recognize the faculty who have been selected for sabbatical leaves and Jepson Fellowships for the next academic year.  Eight faculty members were awarded sabbatical leaves for all or part of the 2012-13 academic year to pursue a research or other professional development project.  Another six faculty members will spend the next academic year as Jepson Fellows with a half-time teaching load while they pursue a research project that has particular and direct application to their teaching.  Please continue reading to see who has earned these awards.

Read more. . .
More External Grants Activity And Successes

Congratulations yet again to Patricia Reynolds who was recently awarded a sixth grant from the Virginia Department of Education for delivering the TESL 532 course.  Also, Brian Rizzo is very close to a finalized contract for GIS services from the National Park Service, and two UMW staff members (Shaun Jones and Ruth Lovelace) have also been awarded externally funded grants.  Brief details about these projects, and a list of the applications made since October, follows on the next page.

Read more. . .
Budget Development Information For Fiscal Year 2012-2013

In recent years, we have been attempting to gather information about high priority items that required new funding even though the general state budget picture was bleak.  Last year’s request, for example, was limited to funding requests for items that advanced implementation of the Strategic Plan or were deemed critical to the operation of the program or department.  The call for those budget items has usually gone out about now.  THERE WILL BE NO SUCH CALL for FY 2012-2013 budget requests.  I wanted to let you know that now in the event you were starting to think about possible items to put forward for additional funding in the next fiscal year.

Read more. . .
Latest Update On Convergence Center Planning

I wanted to provide a short update on the continuing development of the Convergence Center project.  W.M. Jordan and Company offered a contract to serve as the Construction Manager “at risk” for this project.  The project is scheduled to break ground in May 2012 (sometime after the end of commencement ceremonies) although some preliminary work on the site (such as moving underground utilities and telecomm wiring) may start earlier than that.  New documents about the project plan have been posted at my website, and I invite you to take at look by going to the Convergence Center tab on the Provost’s web site.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken