Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

JANUARY 2011

Welcome to 2011!  Through this occasional newsletter, I hope to keep you informed about important developments and issues in the academic affairs area. I welcome your questions and feedback.

Jay Harper

The “University Assembled” Meeting on January 12

As President Rick Hurley’s email message to all employees on December 20, 2010 noted, we are holding a university-wide meeting on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 4 P.M. in Dodd Auditorium (George Washington Hall).  We are calling this “University Assembled” to express that the meeting will cover topics and issues important all faculty and staff.  Students are, of course, welcomed as well.

Read more. . .
UMW Faculty-led Summer Study Abroad Programs Still Accepting Applications

Our faculty are offering exciting summer session study abroad courses this year, and it’s not too late for students to inquire and to sign up.  Because deadlines are approaching, I thought you might like some information about our programs.  Perhaps you know students who would find a summer study abroad course to be the perfect complement to their UMW education.  Full details, along with directions about how to sign up, are available at this location, or students may contact program faculty directly.  Brief program summaries follow on the next page.

Read more. . .
Search for College of Business Dean is Underway

We have launched a search for the founding dean of the College of Business.  We hope that the new dean will begin on July 1, 2011, or as soon as possible thereafter.  The firm of Academic Search, Inc. will assist the UMW search committee.  Larry Penwell has served tirelessly and effectively as acting dean, and I can’t thank him enough for the vision and leadership he has provided during the challenging transition period.  His efforts have prepared us to take the next step of hiring the founding dean.

Read more. . .
UMW Faculty and Students Win External Grants!

In my September newsletter, I recognized several faculty and staff members who had recently won external grants, fellowships, or contracts.  We continue to have additional good news on the external funding front and I’d like to congratulate the following people for their recent accomplishments: Patricia Reynolds, Jo Tyler, Steve Hanna, Jacqueline Gallagher, Theresa Grana, Deborah O’Dell, Charlie Sharpless, and the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken