Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

As we start our new organizational structure, I plan to keep communicating with you through this newsletter (and other means as well) as we experience the changes and reengage with our values. I welcome your questions and feedback.

Jay Harper

Reengaging with our Values

Looking back on the many years I experienced last year here at Mary Washington I have a few reflections and ideas for the future.  I think we’ve come a long way.    The divisional theme last year was “Communicating through the Changes” well we’ve made many changes and this year I want the theme to be “Reengaging with our Values”.

I believe we need to be the highly selective public liberal arts institution for which

Read more. . .
New Academic Organization Begins

Today marks the first day of the University’s new organization in which leadership of academic programming is now managed through three Colleges and one new division.  Each unit has a new introductory web page designed to introduce visitors to the mission and areas of responsibilities over which the college or division has oversight, and I invite you to take a look.

The College of Arts and Sciences page has been reworked, and the new Colleges of Business and Education introduce readers to the programs

Read more. . .
Reorganization Brings New faces and Changes in Work Assignments

One major change associated with the reorganization is the reassignment of responsibilities for some persons you have become familiar in working with over the years.  Ginny Williams is now part of the staff of the Provost’s Office, where she will be responsible for all aspects of initial hiring and contracting activities for faculty in all of the colleges.  She no longer has any role with respect to the management of undergraduate research funds or

Read more. . .
Meeting Dates and a Few Other Deadlines for 2010-2011

The development of the University Faculty Council (UFC), along with the creation of the new colleges, required an adaptation in the calendar of committee meeting dates that has for many years been a useful planning document at UMW.  The meeting calendar for 2010-2011 is available now at the homepage of the Office of the Provost, and my office will manage this calendar from this point forward.

The calendar for 2010-11 establishes

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken