Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

MARCH 2011

Here’s the next installment of my occasional newsletter, through which I hope to keep you informed about important developments and issues in the academic affairs area.  Questions and feedback are welcome.

Jay Harper

Catching Up, and Thoughts on Enrollment Management

I hope spring break gave you the opportunity to get away, do something relaxing or interesting, or perhaps just get caught up. Even if classes aren’t in session, we all know it’s sometimes more like “spring catch up” rather than spring break. Speaking of catching up, I need to correct an oversight from the January newsletter. Andrew Dolby’s $1,000 from the Virginia Society of Ornithology was inadvertently omitted from the list of successful external grant applications. Deborah O’Dell is working with Andrew as a co-investigator on a project to study enzyme immunoassay quantification of heat Shock Protein 60 and its application to avian conservation biology. Congratulations, Andrew and Deborah!

Read more. . .
New Center for International Education is Underway!

I’m happy to formally announce that the Office of International Academic Services will transition on March 25 into a new organizational unit, with a new name, a revised organizational structure, and an intensified mission to promote international education initiatives at UMW through study abroad programs, exchange programs, and international students and scholars.  Dr. Jose Sainz will serve as Director of the Center for International Education. In his new role, he will supervise all aspects of the Center, and the staff assigned to the Center will report directly to him.  Jose has done an excellent job as the Faculty Director of Study Abroad Programs, and the position as Director of the Center for International Education is an evolution of the role he began this year

Read more. . .
Searches Announced: Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence and Innovation, and Director of the Writing Center and Writing Intensive Program

It’s my pleasure to share the news that we will be reorganizing some of the units that support teaching excellence and innovation at UMW, bringing them together under the guidance of a new founding Director for the Center for Teaching Excellence and Innovation. The search will commence in the near future, and the goal is to bring the new Director on board as soon as possible after the start of the new fiscal year.

Read more. . .
German Language Academy and Other External Funding News

I’m excited to announce that the Virginia Department of Education has selected UMW’s proposal to host the Governor’s German Language Academy this summer.  Marcel Rotter submitted the proposal, developing it in collaboration with many persons in a number of offices that will be responsible for some portion of the project.  On June 25, 45 Virginia high school students will arrive at Eagle Landing for a 23-day intensive immersion language experience.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken