Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

May 2011

As the summer session begins, there are a number of developments in Academic Affairs that I wanted to share with you. Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

Jay Harper

Founding Dean Named for College of Business

After a nationwide search in which more than ninety applicants were reviewed by the search committee, I am pleased to announce that Dr. Lynne Richardson will be joining us as founding Dean of the College of Business. She brings to UMW extensive experience as a Dean, and this background will be a major asset in assisting our College of Business with its continuing development.  Dr. Richardson will start work at UMW on July 25, 2011.

Read more. . .
QEP Topic Selected

I am pleased to announce that President Rick Hurley and I have selected  “Understanding and Improving the First-Year Experience” as our Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) topic. With that decision, the planning process for QEP topic moves to a new stage.  Our next step is the formation of a QEP Project Team that will develop our full QEP proposal and report.  At this time, I am calling for volunteers who would like to work on the QEP project team.  Please let me know if you are interested in serving.

Read more. . .
Funding Awarded for Convergence Center!

I’m pleased to share the very good news that we have been informed by Virginia’s Construction Contracting Officer that funding for the Information and Technology Convergence Center has been approved! Funding will be available as of July 1, 2011.  Fairly soon, the Building Committee will be getting back to work on the project.  Some of the initial planning may need to be reexamined in light of subsequent developments on the campus building front, and we obviously need to review many details related to the construction planning and timing.

Read more. . .
Academic Policies and the Developing UMW Policy Manual

UMW is revising its approach to policy management and change with the goal of making university policies more comprehensive, more accessible, better organized, and more consistent in format.  Following the recent adoption by the Board of Visitors of a “policy on policies,” this project is being spearheaded by the President’s Office and will touch every aspect of the university.  This will be a lengthy project but one that will be highly useful to all of us once completed.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken