Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

NOVEMBER 2010

As we head to the close of the semester, I wanted to update you on a number of developments in the academic affairs area.  Please let me know if you have questions or comments. — Jay Harper

Jepson Fellows for 2011-2012 Announced

The Board of Visitors approved five Jepson Fellowships for the 2011-12 academic year.  Fellows will have a half-time teaching load in each semester of the academic year, and their departments will be provided the funding necessary to hire adjunct teaching replacements.  The new Jepson Fellows are:

Read more. . .
Notes from the Land of Cranes

As many of you know, I was away from the friendly confines of Mary Washington for the last two weeks.  I had the opportunity to travel to several cities in Asia: Seoul, Taipei, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Beijing and Dalian.  While there, I met with dozens of agents who in Asia are the primary way students learn of and matriculate to schools in the UK, Australia, and the US.  I also attended several school fairs where I met potential students or their parents.

Read more. . .
UMW Compares Favorably in Two Recent Higher Education Reports

The National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS) undertook a review of the Virginia higher education institutions relative to each institution’s SCHEV-approved peer group.  Their 2010 report compared institutional performance on a number of measures such as first-year retention rate, six-year graduation rate, undergraduate credentials per 100 FTE undergraduates, and productivity measures (efficiency with respect to the cost to produce degrees). 

Read more. . .
Convergence Center Planning Continuing

In 2008, the General Assembly provided UMW with $1.5 million to conduct initial planning for the Information and Technology Convergence Center.  The preliminary design process is just about complete, and the project has entered a stage known as “value engineering.”  At this stage, a firm is hired to review project plans as they have progressed and to make recommendations for design improvements and potential cost savings.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken