Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

October 2011

It’s been another busy semester — busier than most, it seems.  I hope you’ll find the items in this issue of the Newsletter informative. Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

Jay Harper

Connections

Several years ago there was a popular television show tracing scientific milestones and change.  The show’s premise was that seemingly isolated events over time connect with others to produce innovations or societal transposition.  Something somewhat like that may be happening here, or so it seems to me.

Read more. . .
Update on Convergence Center Planning

I wanted to provide a short update on the development of the Convergence Center plans.  As you’ll hopefully recall from the items in the November 2010 and May 2011 newsletters, the proposed location for the Convergence Center is on campus walk, next to the Library (and it will connect to the Library on one floor).  The new building will occupy a footprint on both sides of campus walk – you’ll actually feel like you are walking through it as you traverse from the Library to, say, Jepson or Goolrick.

Read more. . .
External Grants: Successes, Activity, and Information

Congratulations to Patricia Reynolds (Department of Foundations, Leadership, and Special Populations) and Melanie Szculczewski (Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences) who have recently received grant awards!  Patricia received an $82,1770.20 grant from the Virginia Department of Education, and Melanie was awarded a $39,995.25 cooperative research agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.  Continue reading to learn brief details about their projects.  Following that, there are reminders about the new locations of the materials and procedures required for submitting external funding proposals.  Finally, I’d like to recognize several other faculty members who have recently submitted external grant applications.

Read more. . .
Developments in DTLT, and News about the Teaching Center Director Search

We’ve named a new Director of the Division of Teaching and Learning Technologies (DTLT) and we will also shortly launch a national search to fill a vacant Instructional Technology Specialist position.  In addition, the search to fill the vacant position of University Teaching Center Director has begun again.  Let me provide some basic details for you, starting with the announcement that Jim Groom is now the Director of DTLT.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken