Email not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online
University of Mary Washington

Now that the new academic year is fully underway, it’s time to make some announcements, share some good news, and take a look at a few of the items on our agenda.  As always, I welcome your questions and feedback.

Jay Harper

Conversations with the Provost

In an effort to use multiple ways for keeping us informed about changes and new directions at Mary Washington, I will again be hosting a series of “Conversations with the Provost.” Last year, these relaxed and informal gatherings helped me to get to know many of you.  The meetings were also an . . .

Read more. . .
Important Upcoming Deadlines

A number of important due dates are coming soon.  The deadline for sabbatical applications is Monday, September 13, and the process for submitting and reviewing these applications has changed slightly from what was true in previous years.

Sabbatical applications are to be submitted to your college dean, who will conduct the first review and make an initial recommendation.  After the . . .

Read more. . .
State Legislation with Consequences for the UMW Curriculum

We are going to need to respond to legislative developments on a number of fronts, and required actions on our part may have curricular or academic program impacts.  One immediate issue of concern is the new state law regarding equity in the award of college credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP) courses.  Section 23-9.2:3.8 of the Code of Virginia outlines . . .

Read more. . .
Congratulations to Winners of External Grants!

In my March newsletter, I recognized several faculty and staff members who had recently won external grants, fellowships, or contracts.  Since then, we’ve had additional good news on the external funding front and I’d like to congratulate Norah Hooper, Michael Spencer, Venitta McCall, Theresa Grana, H. Nicole Myers, Julius Esunge, Patricia Reynolds, Rita Thompson, and Janet Asper for their achievements.

Read more. . .
Photo Credit: Jeff McClurken